Monday 4 February 2013

My Journey To Vegan Cooking Joy!



I am a force to be reckoned with in the kitchen, or so I have been told. I grew up at my mother's elbow, watching her cook everything as I offered to set the table, and help out. My mother was a homemaker with 4 children born over a 5 year period of time, who was an excellent cook, and we always ate dinner at 6pm sharp [even though my dad was always at work till we went to bed], and we always had a Friday night dinner with the whole family, my grandparents included.  Every holiday was a special event in the kitchen, with traditional Jewish recipes, and more food than we could ever eat.   We ate dinner together, shared our day, my father and Zaida (grand father) would discuss politics, and we would laugh and be silly, while tucking into familiar family favorites.

A Kosher home, I would say we ate vegetarian meals at least 70% of the time.  We would have our cereal [hot or cold], and milk for breakfast, with juice perhaps.  We sometimes had eggs on the weekends, or bagels with cream cheese. Lunch was always 'dairy' too. We would have sandwiches with egg salad, tuna fish, salmon salad, or cream cheese and jelly. Occasionally we would have the classic PB&J sandwich. We would drink our milk or juice, and eat fruit and veggies on the side. If we were lucky, we found canned spaghetti (no meat) in our little thermos, but basically lunch was a no meat (beef, poultry, lamb) affair. We never ate pork products, and we never ate shellfish.

Dinner time was where we might find some beef or chicken on the menu. Most nights, my mother would serve fish, a vegetarian cheese lasagna, or spaghetti with a canned sauce and no meat.  There was always a canned vegetable on the side of the plate [I still gag at the thought of wax beans], and some sort of starch, either rice or potatoes. We ate baked chicken livers or braised beef liver (for the iron, I was told), which was deliciously covered in ketchup and caramelized onions, but these were rare treats, usually once a month.  We would eat chicken (on the bone) on occasion, either "shake and bake" style, or baked in a sweet tangy tomato sauce.  Barbeque season would bring the occasional hamburger, hot dog, or even a small beef steak. We would eat these with salads and perhaps a potato side dish. Bread was only eaten with burgers and beef wieners. On Friday nights when we would have an Egg Challah, as part of the Sabbath meal. We would traditionally have a Chicken Soup, Beef Brisket, and Chicken on Friday nights, and only when we ate meat would we be allowed to have Soda Pop to drink, otherwise it was juice or water.

All in all, I have to give my Mother props, she always had a delicious dinner for us,  we always had some form of vegetable and a starch, and we didn't drink our calories in sugar soda, although there was a lot of apple juice and 2% milk. Given what was known about nutrition in the mid 70's, I think she did as well as she could have.  We didn't consume a lot of meat really, and we were always offered fruit, even canned fruit in winter time, as a dessert or treat. We may not have wanted the apple, but it was always in our lunch box anyways.

Fast food was a rare treat when we were kids. I can remember having "Kentucky Fried Chicken" less than 10 times before I was 15, we only ate it if my mother wasn't able to make dinner because she had a busy day of doctors appointments or shoe shopping for 4 kids. We had pizza only at birthday parties, usually not even our own, my mother would often make tiny party sandwiches for our parties, or home made English muffin pizzas of her own. We only went to McDonald's a few times a year, usually with my paternal grandmother, and I never really got into fast-fooding till I was in high-school and working for my own money. I was my own worst enemy in that respect, but I was still interested in all that went into cooking meals for the family.

Recipe by recipe, I memorized my Mother's greatest hits. I learned that cheesy lasagna recipe, and later added in frozen spinach for my own twist.  I made chili exactly as she did. I made her famous Velveeta Tuna dip for fresh vegetables, it was divine with celery. I learned to make egg salad, tuna salad, and tons of other regular everyday recipes by the time I was 10. Soon after my mother would allow me to cook some of the time, and side by side we would attempt new recipes too.  I learned a lot of basic cooking principles, like boiling pasta, eggs, and potatoes, how to make a crumb mixture and bread chicken or fish to fry or bake, and how to make my own oil and vinegar style salad dressings.  I loved the positive feedback I would get from cooking for my family, it was really wonderful.

My Grandmother, my Mother's Mother was a great cook as well, and she had a repertoire of depression era recipes that were filling and cheap to make. I watched carefully and learned her best too. From spaghetti casserole using all bits of leftover cheese in the fridge and canned tomatoes, to a "Jell-O" cake, made simply with flavored gelatin, sour cream, and graham crackers.  She was also a great baker, making amazing pies, cookies, and squares for us.  She had one recipe for a pan square "cookie" that I swear was different each time. She sometimes added nuts, candied fruits, chocolate chips, coconut and other goodies, all in different combinations. It was sort of freeing for me to see that you could use what you had on hand with the same basic recipe, and make something new each time.

So as I wowed my friends, their families, and my family cooking up new and interesting versions of family favorites, and trying new things I read about in the newspaper or on a cooking show (in the days before Food Network), I really learned to love the creative process of cooking. Now, this is by no means the "force to be reckoned with" that I speak of, that came a little later, but I was always a messy cook. I hated washing dishes, but I loved making that mess and seeing the results. My Mother was forever frustrated with the sink full of bowls and implements after I had used, saying "why did you use so many bowls?" My Grandmother once sat laughing hysterically as we made half a dozen apple pies after a trip to the local orchard, I was covered head to toe in flour, and so was the floor and every other surface. She couldn't believe anyone could cook in that kind of mess. It is rather funny, my Mother and Grandmother would clean as they went. Even when she was in her 80's, I would watch my 'hip-less' Baba [Grandmother], with one hand on her walker and the other arm leaning on the counter of her tiny retirement flat kitchen, as she washed each and every item as she was done with it.

When I was done with high-school, I was pretty certain I wanted to go into Nutrition at University, but one less than adequate, by a mere 5%, Chemistry mark meant I was short on the requirement. I decided that since part of the Registered Nutritionist course included some basic cooking courses, I would enroll in Culinary Management at the local Community College instead, and start from there while I boosted my Chemistry Mark.  It changed my cooking forever, both for the better and the not so great.



I remember the uniform, and I hated it. I wore heavy steel toed black work boots, a pair of itchy polyester hounds tooth pants, supposedly unisex, but not if you have curves.  A tight white jacket with a double buttoned front, starched stiff, and binding as heck on my 32DD chest.  A tight white scarf tied around my neck, and a white paper tall chef's hat on my head. I was further bound in by a long white apron, double tied around my waist. At 5'2", I felt like I was being suffocated daily.  I carried a red metal tool box, filled with fabulous [still] knives and tools, and I was off to class from 8am till 4pm daily, 5 days a week.

I can't explain to people who have not experienced it, what it is like to be making beef consume at 8am in the morning, having to taste it over and over for seasoning, and bound in the most unforgiving and awful clothes.  I quickly lost my appetite, and went from a healthy energetic 135 pounds to a  less than robust 115 pounds, and had no appetite for food, and didn't cook at home anymore, the joy had gone out of it.

Sure I learned a lot, I learned knife skills, how to make every stock, sauce, and dressing. I learned to make pastry and breads from scratch, I learned culinary history, which I have to say, I loved, and I learned how to work in a restaurant kitchen in the schools special dinning room.  I was forever told I was under-seasoning my food. What can I say, I grew up in a home where my relatives, many, had heart conditions and so my mother would leave off most salt, and let people add their own as needed.  I learned all the cuts from julienne to chiffonade, and I learned how to sear, sweat, and caramelize.  I learned how to butcher chickens and entire sides of pork, I learned how to plate meals to make them look appealing, I learned how to make seasonal meals, and how to cost recipes and price them to make a profit in a restaurant.  But I also learned that I was not meant to be a chef. Perhaps a cook-book author or TV cooking show host, but not bound in a uniform in a kitchen full of men working my butt off and never seeing anyone enjoy my food.

At the end of my first year in Culinary School,  I was hospitalized for my IBD again [something I had deal with since I was 12 years old], and as I sat surrounded by competent fabulous nurses, I knew that wise the 16 year old me was right, I was meant to be a nurse. I had thought about it for years, but somehow felt I needed to try something else too, just in case I was wrong.  I sat in the hospital and filled out the application for nursing school, as nurses wandered in and out telling me that I should think again, since "there are no jobs for nurses". At the time there were too many nurses and a system that needed to change.  By the time I was done with nursing school, things were changing.

The point is, once I was in a proper strict kitchen environment, where I was forced to season to my Chef Teacher's tastes and not my own, and was graded on that, I really started to really lose my love for cooking.  I enjoyed taking my products home for my family to try, I even 'worked' a dinner for my parents, in full uniform sans-hat making a full fancy menu from soup, plated salad and main, to a swanky chocolate ganache cake. I even made my own piped whipped butter curls and bread for the party. I worked the kitchen as my mother actually sat with her dinner guests for a change. That, I admit, was fun, but not enough to keep me in Culinary School, the Dean was heartbroken when I told him, I was a favorite student, one of only 2 females in my class, and earning near perfect marks in all my non-kitchen classes, and moderately good marks in my kitchen classes, he felt I was a great representative for the school with the industry partners. I just knew it wouldn't fulfill me on a deeper level.

I didn't cook for a long time after that. Several years actually, not till I was living on my own after my RN studies were over as I went to University to get my Baccalaureate Degree.  I had too many cooking implements, inherited from both Grandmothers and my Mother, and no space in my tiny galley kitchen in my studio apartment. But I would try to cook for friends on occasion.  Once I was working in Nursing, my schedule made cooking very difficult, so it was put aside in favor of take away and convenience foods.

It is now years [many years] later, and I have rediscovered my love of cooking with my new Vegan lifestyle. I can no longer order food on the phone or internet, and I can't afford heaps of prepared foods frozen in boxes.  Even prepared vegan meals are full of sugars, fillers, and sodium.  For about 7 dollars [Canadian], you get one tiny tray of Vegan food, one single meal, and no options.  I have opted to cook almost everything I eat now, with the exception of bread [I buy organic Vegan options], and some Soy/Plant Based "fake meats". It is a lot cheaper to cook this way,  and there are lots of leftovers too. Initially stocking my pantry has been a major expense,but I know I will have use for all of it.

So, now I have rediscovered my joy, I have used the favorite recipes passed on from my Mother and Grandmother as a framework for making my own new Vegan versions. I am using what I learned in Culinary School to combine my favorite flavors and techniques to create a pile of brand new creation that I could just eat over and over again [and have]. I have found some recipes in books or online, and customized them to what fruits or veggies I have on hand. I think that the Vegan challenge, eliminating the meat, dairy, eggs, and any animal products at all -- is really exciting to me. Finding new and interesting spice combinations, while leaving off salt if possible, and opting for lots of bright and fresh organic vegetables is really a nice change.


Vegan home cooking may not be for everyone, and there is definitely a benefit to be found from having a lot of previous cooking experience [vegan or otherwise], but I think it is really the best way to go for a healthy and balanced Vegan diet.  You could live off fast food veganist options, or ready to eat canned or frozen meals, but you will get a lot of sodium, spend a heap of money, and get little nutrition or fiber in the deal. Make no mistake, there are 'fat' [I hate that word] Vegans, and there are unhealthy Vegans. Just because you cut out meat, dairy, eggs, fish, and their by-products and embrace a kinder and more compassionate lifestyle, doesn't automatically equate with a balanced diet. You need to be aware of the calories, fat, protein, carbohydrates and sodium you are taking in, and you need to be sure you are covered with your vitamin intakes too. By cooking for yourself, even just once a day, you are giving yourself a fiber full and comforting meal, to your own taste and the seasonal offerings in your area.  Now I am a whole other kind of "force" to be reckoned with in the kitchen, and so far, everyone who has tasted my Vegan recipes is "If this is vegan, bring it on" thrilled.
 
Here are 3 of my self-created Vegan recipes; one hot, one cold, and one slow-cooker option, with fairly fast and easy delicious results. Enjoy!

Ketsy's Vegan Chilli Con Kindness


A 100% Vegan alternative for those who adore "Chili con Carne" made the Canadian way. All the rich chili flavor and texture and none of the fat. An easy throw it in the pot and simmer dinner for the whole family that can be modified to suit your own taste.
Ingredients:
1 Jar (660 mL) of Strained Crushed Tomatoes
1 Can (540 mL) Diced Canned Tomatoes (Chili Seasoned Variety Optional)
1 Can ( 390 mL) Organic Canned Kidney Beans
1 Package (340 g) Yves Veggie Ground
1 Packet of Club House Chili Seasoning (or Similar)
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Small (Yellow) Cooking Onions
1 Large Stalk of Celery
1 Medium Carrot
2-4 Large Garlic Cloves (To Your Taste)
Directions:
1. Wash Raw Vegetables
2. Peel Carrot, then use peeler to shred Carrot into ribbons, chop ribbons finely
3. Chop Celery into small dice
4. Peel and chop Cooking Onions into medium/small dice
5. Peel and chop Garlic cloves into medium/small dice
6. In a small stock pot, add Olive Oil, heat to medium or when a piece of onion added starts to bubble
7. Add Onions, Garlic, Carrot, and Celery to pot, lower temperature to a simmer and "sweat" the ingredients until onions are transparent. (Approx. 8-10 minutes)
8. Add package of Yves Veggie Ground (or similar Vegetable Protein Crumble), break into smaller crumbles with wooden spoon, stir
9. Add remaining ingredients - Jar of Strained Tomatoes, Can of Diced Tomatoes (Seasoned or Plain), Kidney Beans (drained of fluid but not rinsed.)
10. Stir together well, cover and bring to a slow simmer over low heat.
11. Allow to simmer covered for 30 minutes or longer as desired.

Serve immediately in Large Bowls (Serves 6 - 1 Cup Servings as a Main Course).

Serving Suggestion: Serve with Toasted Organic Whole Grain Bread and Vegan Margarine. Grated Non-Dairy Cheese may be added as a garnish.

Storage: May be cooled, placed in jar or other covered container and refrigerated for up to 7 days, or frozen in single servings in plastic freezer safe containers or zip-loc bags for up to 3 months.

Nutrition Information: Per 1 Cup Serving - 278 calories, 34g Carbohydrates, 9g Fat, 17g Protein, Fiber 7g, 875mg Sodium.
Ketsy's Decadent Avocado Quinoa Bowl


A versatile cold Quinoa salad with Avocado, Black Beans, Grapefruit, and Red Bell Peppers. Can be served as a lunch or dinner item, or serve as a side dish. Colorful, delicious, and versatile, you can easily switch in ingredients you enjoy and have on hand.
Ingredients:
2 cups (500 mL) Vegan Vegetable Stock
1 cup (240 mL) Dry Organic Whole Grain Quinoa (Pre-washed)
1 medium Organic Cooking Onion - Diced
1/2 Red Bell Pepper - Seeded and Diced
2 Large Cloves of Garlic - Crushed in Garlic Press
1/8 cup Chopped Fresh Organic Parsley
1/2 pint Cherry or Grape Tomatoes (Halved)
1 Medium Organic Grapefruit - Peeled, Sectioned, Chopped into cubes, Reserve Juice
1 Medium Organic Avocado - Cut into small cubes
1 Can (398 mL) Organic Black Beans - Drained and Well Rinsed
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
Directions:
1. Bring Vegetable Stock to a boil in a 2.5L sauce pan. Add Quinoa to Broth and stir. Return to a boil, then cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 14-18 minutes until all stock has been absorbed.  Remove from heat and fluff Quinoa Grains, add chopped Red Bell Pepper, Onions, and Garlic to to pot, and cover. Let Stand 15 minutes.

2. In a Large Bowl add Grapefruit Pieces and Juice, Tomatoes, Chopped Parsley, Avocado Cubes, and Black Beans. Add Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar. Stir.

3. Allow Quinoa mixture to cool, or place in fridge. Cover Avocado mixture and refrigerate until ready to serve.

4. Mix Quinoa with Avocado mixture and toss well. Scoop in 1 Cup Servings in Bowls.

Suggested Serving: Can be served over a bed of Organic Baby Mixed Greens. Garnish with Parsley Sprigs if desired. Store in fridge up to 2 days. [I dare you to make it last that long, this one has me eating it for breakfast the next day too!]

Nutrition Information: Per 1 Cup Serving - 313 calories, 43g Carbohydrates, 11g Fat, 8g Protein, Fiber 8g, 462mg Sodium.
Ketsy's  Kurry Potato, Chickpea, with Lentils (Slow Cooker)


A warm and filling easy slow cooker vegan curry, with delicious potatoes, chick peas, and lentils. Lots of warm curry flavor, with little fuss. Can be modified to suit your taste or pantry items, including adding additional spices to taste. Lots of protein, no added oil or fats. Use of Organic Ingredients is of course optional.
Ingredients:
8-10 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, Washed and Cut into 1 Inch Cubes.
1 Can of Organic Chick Peas (Do Not Drain)
1 Medium Yellow Cooking Onion (Large Diced)
1/2 Large Can of Organic Diced Tomatoes (Approx. 1.5 cups with Juice)
1 Cup Organic Vegetable Stock
4 tsp. Garam Masala Spice (Indian Mixed Spice Blend, Includes Curry Flavor)
1 tsp. Kosher or Table Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 Pinch Crushed Red Chili Flakes (or More to Taste)

To The Side: 1 cup Red (Orange) Lentils, Rinsed Well and Strained of Water.
Directions:
1. Turn On The Slow Cooker To High Setting (II). Place Potatoes, Chick Peas with Water, Onion, Diced Tomatoes and Juice, Stock, and Spices In Crock Pot. Make Sure Potatoes Are Close To The Bottom and The Allow Liquid To Settle Down Around Them.

2. Cover And Let Heat To Simmer, Stirring Occasionally To Distribute Spices.

3. After 3 Hours, Add Lentils To The Cooker With Previous Ingredients. Stir Well Into Liquids, Cover And Allow To Cook for 30 Minutes. 

4. Stir Once More, Turning Items From Top To Bottom Of Cooker Crock, Taste Liquid To Assess Flavors. Add More Spices As Needed, (Garam Masala - Salt - Pepper - Chilli Flakes To Taste) till desired flavor is reached. Less Spice Produces a More Mild Curry.

5. Allow To Simmer an Additional 30 Minutes. Once 4 Hour Mark Is Reached, Turn Of Heat to Serve Immediately, Or Lower to Low Setting (I), to hold warm and serve after an hour. Longer Cooking Develops Curry Flavor, But Will Make for A Mushy Potato Consistency.

Makes: 6 Generous 1 Cup Servings.
Suggestion: Serve Over Basmati Rice or Jasmine Rice For A Complete Meal. For A Real Indian Style Dinner, Include Soft Fresh Naan Breads and A Spicy Fruit Chutney On The Side.

Nutrition Information: Per 1 Cup Serving - 244 calories, 48g Carbohydrates, 1g Fat, 11g Protein, Fiber 5g, 629mg Sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?